Italian-style Braised Lamb Shanks
An Italian-style dish simply bursting with flavour, this recipe has been shared from our friends at Australian Lamb.
- 4 Lamb Shanks
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil
- 1 x 400g butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 1 cup risoni
Fennel & Radicchio Salad
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1/2 head radicchio, leaves removed and washed, torn
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced.
- Place tomatoes, 2 whole stems basil, butter beans and garlic in a large cast iron pan or ovenproof baking dish. Place lamb shanks on top, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper. Pour 1.5 cups of water around lamb, cover with a piece of wet crumpled baking paper and cover with lid. Bake for 2-2.5 hours until lamb is tender.
- Add risoni and 1.5 cups water around the lamb and return to the oven for another 20 minutes until risoni is tender.
- Dress fennel and radicchio with vinegar when ready to serve. Top with fennel fronds. Tear remaining large basil leaves and pick small leaves and stir though risoni.
- Serve lamb on top of risoni and salad on the side.
Click here to see the original recipe.