Mediterranean Beef Stew with Olives and Rosemary
Warming and mouth-watering, this Mediterranean inspired beef stew includes the rich flavours of olives, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs. Try serving on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes or with a side of crusty bread.
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 200g sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 800g trimmed, diced casserole steak
- 1 cup beef stock (use 2 cups for stovetop cooking)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 handfuls pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs capers (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
Slow Cooker Method
- Heat small amount of olive oil in heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, add mushrooms and cook for several minutes, until starting to brown. Add mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Add a little more oil, then cook diced onions and beef for about 5 minutes, or until starting to brown. Add to slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup beef stock to the pan and simmer for a few minutes until slightly reduced, scraping off all browned bits, then add that stock to the slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes and juice, balsamic vinegar, olives, garlic, rosemary, parsley, capers, and a little black pepper. Stir gently to combine, then put lid on and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Season to taste with salt and more freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot with a side of creamy mashed potatoes SPECIAL or fresh crusty bread.
- Follow all the same instructions as for the slow cooker method, but put all ingredients in heavy dutch oven type pan, instead of a slow cooker.
- Add one cup extra of beef stock.
- Simmer on very low heat for about 2 hours.