Red Wine Jus
The perfect accompaniment to the perfectly cooked beef steak, this classic sauce is rich and flavoursome.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup Tasmanian red wine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 800ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch sugar
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and fry for about 10 minutes, until golden and caramelised.
- Add the wine, rosemary and bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Add the stock and continue to cook until reduced by half again.
- Remove from the heat and strain, discarding the shallots and herbs.
- Transfer the sauce to a new saucepan and bring to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, then whisk through the sugar, to taste.