A classic Italian pasta dish using the fuller flavour of Ziggys Kaiserfleisch Speck.
- 100g Kaiserfleisch Speck
- 100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 large eggs
- 350g spaghetti or fettucine
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 50g unsalted butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put a large saucepan of water on to the boil
- Finely chop the speck and remove any rind.
- When the water is boiling, add in the pasta and cook to the packet instructions.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix most of the cheese in with the eggs, keeping a handful aside for serving. Set aside.
- Squash the garlic cloves under a knife blade. While the pasta is cooking, place the butter in a frying pan and when it starts to melt, add the speck and garlic.
- Fry for 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently until crispy. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Reduce the heat to low. Drain the cooked pasta from the water, retaining the pasta water, and place the pasta into the pan with the speck.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly pour in the eggs and cheese, using tongs to mix the egg mixture through so it thickens but doesn't scramble.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of extra pasta water and stir through to keep the pasta moist.
- Serve immediately with cracked black pepper and Parmesan sprinkled on top.